Friday, July 8, 2011

Bases and Top Coat: My Essentials

I've been asked by a lot of people about my nails. They're very real. I've had long nails for as long as I can remember (except for a period where I was wearing gel tips after a period where they were breaking and refusing to grow for whatever reason). I was even all set to not wear any fake nails for my wedding until two weeks before when my husband-to-be sat on my hand and broke my pinky nail down to the skin. He's lucky we actually got married after that ;) Since that incident, I attempted to get it to grow back as much as possible, but it didn't happen and I wound up having to go with the gels. I'm very happy with how my nails turned out though. I didn't want to do the typical bridal french, so I went with the basic french with black and hot pink (our wedding colors) color bursts. I think they came out great!
Now since 'The Incident', as my nail tech refers to it, I've gone to great lengths to insure that I do not have another break as bad as that one. It's been over a year and the only time my nails have been shortened has been when I've clipped them down a bit. I owe that to the three products that I swear by for nail growth and strength. All of these can be purchased at Sally's Beauty Supply and are pretty inexpensive (though the prices are escaping me right now)

The first of these three is my growth encouraging base coat. It's called Growing Nails with Garlic. The main thing to note is that this product does NOT smell like garlic. It says on the bottle 'odorless garlic' and I honestly smell nothing but usual nail polish. I put a coat of this on as soon as I take off my polish and before I reapply any new polish (if I go a day or so unpolished).

Next, I use a second base called Gelous Advanced Nail Gel Coat. This product is similar to what would be on your nails if you were to get a full set of gel nails. This stuff seems pretty thick but it dries quickly and really does it's job of protecting and strengthening nails.

Finally, my topcoat doubles as a hardener and a high gloss topcoat. I use Beauty Secrets Hardener. If I'm not wearing a polish, I always wear these 3 together. That horrible break before my wedding actually was grown back in full within about 2 months. I tend to have trouble sticking to beauty routines, but this one is something that I never skimp on.

No comments:

Post a Comment