Thursday, July 21, 2011

First Konad Experience!

My Konad and Bundlemonster plates FINALLY came! I watched a few youtube tutorials and looked at a few designs to see what I wanted to do and I was all set to do something complex and intricate... but then I fell back to my favorite safety net, leopard print. For those who don't know, I'm a huge leopard print freak. In fact, my next tattoo is going to be a quarter sleeve of leopard prints on my right shoulder. I was excited to get stamping but quickly learned a few things.

Some polishes do not stamp well at all. I thought it was just me but after several trials, some of my polishes just aren't meant for stamping. That's fine, because a lot of them work just fine but a few were just not gonna happen. Also, I learned to work quickly but with a steady hand. Since you have to scrape the polish, it makes the polish still inside the design very thin and will dry quickly. I have to press pretty hard to get the whole stamp evenly. I was also really concerned about excess polish getting on the stamper and would try to re-scrape but it would always dry before I could stamp the image so I learned to just stamp it as is, clean it up on the stamper (it won't dry as quickly on there) and then stamp my nail. I also have pretty long nails and they're not flat so I have to be very precise about where and how I stamp on the actual nail. I wound up liking how the whole mani came out though.

I started by doing a white base but realized that I'd just done a white-based leopard mani so I started over. I wanted a brighter color so I went with Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure in Grass Slipper. I love the brush in CSM and the finish is great. I tend to use creme polishes over any other finish and this is a great bright green creme.
Because of how long my nails are, I had to stamp the leopard print on each nail twice, horizontally instead of vertically like the stamp is shown on the plate. I thought this was going to be a huge mess and an ugly disaster, but for my first time? I thought it was pretty good. I originally put white dots in the 'holes' in the print, but it wound up looking like snakeskin and actually showed up pretty dumb. I love that there's a clear 'animal print' feel about this.
My peacock tattoo on my foot decided to make an appearance :) My other 'animal print' love is peacock feathers. I'll probably be doing an peacock mani in the fall. I'm pretty devoted to brights for the summer. 
I'm thinking that the leopard Konad plate will be my go-to if I hit a nail rut. It's simple, yet fun.

Now I'm waiting on a haul of Essie, OPI, China Glaze and Orly polishes. I can't wait for them to get here! I also got some great dotting tools and I'm eager to try Essie's Matte About You. I have a few of the OPI matte shades and originally hated the matte finish, but I've seen a few blogs where it's used and it actually turns out really nicely. I'll be trying my hand at matte-ifying a few mani's in the near future. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment